2.0 Riccall village is located some 8km north of Selby to the west of the current A19. The village has been bypassed as the new road follows the former railway line to York. North of Riccall, the road bends eastward off the old railway line and rejoins the original road route to Escrick. A footpath and cycleway continues along the railway line and links the village to the heart of York city centre.
2.1 The village is based on farming of the fertile alluvial soils that surround it on three sides. Main Street lies around 1km to the east of the River Ouse on slightly elevated land (around 8m above sea level).
2.2 The early growth of the village took shape in a rough square surrounding the church and along the main roads to York, Selby and Cawood. The village now features a central triangular village green, extending along the three main routes in a “ribbon” layout. Riccall has now expanded on all sides into several post-war suburban estates, most significantly due to the coalfield expansion in the 1980s.
2.3 There are many landmark buildings in the village, some are listed and many others retain their character with skilled conversion and careful modernisation.
2.4 The boundary treatments through Riccall village are consistent, being made by a low brick wall with piers and a box hedge atop. Another important feature to this village is the mature trees particularly in the more developed areas creating landscape features. Together these green additions soften the view and help to merge the old and the new areas of the village together.
2.5 Riccall village was first established as an Anglian settlement as it is thought that ancient king of England, Harold Hardrada landed in Riccall before marching on to fight in the battle of Gate Fulford and Stamford Bridge in 1066. The village is close to the river Ouse, developed on land slightly above the floodplain, with streams and dykes forming much of the village boundaries.
2.6 Development in the last century was confined to the west due to the presence of the York-Selby railway line on the east. The railway opened in 1871, passing under the main road south-east of the village and over it at a level-crossing north of the village. The train station was erected on Riccall common, later to be known as Station Road. With the arrival of Selby Coalfield the line was closed, and its route past the village occupied by the bypass road.
2.7 On the opposite side of the A19 to the village is Riccall Common (also known as Skipwith Common) where a former RAF Airfield was built in 1942; it was closed to flying in 1945 but derelict runways and buildings remain with some buildings being used for agriculture and other business uses.
2.8 In the early part ofthe 18th and 19th century Riccall was a thriving village with numerous public houses and shops including a Co-operative Society founded in 1878. There are still some amenities remaining with convenience stores, restaurants and public houses.
2.9 Riccall village is one that has stood the test of time, becoming an established medieval settlement, incorporating the rail networks, the erection of an airfield during the 2nd world war, through to the introduction to coal mining in the 1980's. The village has also seen large estate developments erected from the 1970's to the present day. Throughout all this development the main character areas and historic buildings still remain. Riccall benefits from having a variety of open spaces including allotments these enhance the character areas of the village.
2.10 Hawthorn Farm is a grade I listed building, built in the early 18th century. Constructed from pinkish-brown brick with cast tile roof with multiple 9-pane Yorkshire sashes. 3-course first-floorband. Ridge stack.
2.11 Number 10 Church Street is a grade 2 listed building, built in early 18th century and constructed from pinkish-brown brick with pantile roof. With multiple pane wooden windows, brick dental course to the eaves band. Swept roof. Brick coping to gable ends. Ridge stack.
The Manor House (formerly know n as The Vicarage or Old Prebendal Manor), on Kelfield Road is a Grade II star listed building. This property is now a house with grand tower and turret of 14th century origin. Constructed from pinkish-orange bricks and Welsh slate roof. Windows vary with some early lancet windows to first and second floor, and to the rear is a star turret, slit windows, with a stain glass window dated 1696.
2.12 The Windmill on Landing Lane was constructed in the late 19th century. Built from pinkish-brown brick with concealed roof. With original windows featuring openings under segmental arches.
2.13 The Red House on Main Street is a Grade II listed building built in the early 19th century. Constructed from reddish-brown brick in Flemish bond with Welsh slate roof. This unique building has 12-pane sash windows, the fluted wedge lintels with fluted keystones and hipped roof, and tall multiple chimney side stacks, adding to the character and charm to the village.
2.14 Riccall House (No 78) Main Street is a Grade II listed building constructed around the early 19th century. With pink-brown brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressing and pantile roof. Featuring 12-pane casements throughout with ashlar sills and fluted wedge lintels with keystones. Hipped roof,and chimney stacks to the rear.
2.15 Bangram Hill Farmhouse, YorkRoad Grade II listed building, probably originally a farmhouse and cottage, around the late 17th century. Constructed from pinkish-brown brick, with pantile roof and short chimneys. Timbers windows to the ground floor are 6-pane sashes. The first floor has 4-long pane Yorkshire sashes which break up the dentilled brick eaves band.
2.17 The ancient parish church of St. Mary, Riccall is closely bound to village history. With evidence of an older Saxon Church being replaced by a Norman building. St Mary's built of local Tadcaster magnesium limestone, and Welsh slate roof, is mentioned in the Domesday Book.
2.18 A low three stage tower was added in 1180 AD - the belfry has four Norman double window openings. Later additions and alterations including restorations of 1864-5, rebuilding of the west tower, south aisle wall and building of a porch.
2.19 The most treasured feature is a beautiful doorway (dated 1160 AD), the arch of which has four bands of richly carved figures and symbols - with some beakheads displaying a Viking influence.
2.20The Regen Centreon Landing Lane, opened in 2000 - this is a modern community centre with excellent facilities for community groups and visitors - provides sport facilities, crèche, meeting rooms for hire.